Monday, July 9, 2018

Bookworms: Being Mortal

Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the EndBeing Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


As someone who has had loved ones suffer through terminal illness, this book spoke powerfully and personally to me. I wished I had read it earlier, as it would have transformed the way I think about quality of life and care for my loved ones. Atul Gawande offers a comprehensive look at geriatric care and how to promote quality of life as we age. He explores deep ethical questions about end of life and what it means to be mortal. And his work speaks powerfully both to individuals and families who are considering decisions on how to care for loved ones as well as to physicians and other health-care professionals as they treat and care for their patients. His research offers valuable, tangible insight into improving care and quality of life whether in nursing homes, hospitals, and family units. I highly recommend this book.



View all my reviews

Bookworms is a series of reflections on books that have encouraged me, challenged me, made me think differently. I love books that make me think and ones I can get lost in, ones that have captivating stories or ones of captivating importance. You can browse my bookshelf at the bottom of my blog to see my eclectic collection of recent reads. In this series, I'll share some reflections on some of the ones that have been especially meaningful to me. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate Posts and Homepage