Thursday, July 12, 2018

Bookworms: Generous Justice

Generous Justice: How God's Grace Makes Us JustGenerous Justice: How God's Grace Makes Us Just by Timothy J. Keller

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This book is a powerful reminder into God's heart for generous justice - justice and mercy and grace. It is a call to live as Christians with a compassionate and generous spirit. Keller draws comparisons between the Israelite culture of the Old Testament and our culture, noting how the theocratic government incorporated provision for the poor and marginalized into their economic & social systems. How would our businesses be different if we made similar provision for the poor today?

Keller also skillfully avoids the political traps of polarized politics. He book is one that is centered in Biblical truth, not political views. He does not let liberals off the hook for morality & personal responsibility, and he doesn't let conservatives off the hook for grace and compassion. This is one of the best books I've read recently in terms of balancing those, and his words are challenging to all of us, regardless of what our political leanings are.

Keller also explores the role of the Christian in the marketplace, as a citizen and as an advocate on behalf of justice - giving tangible advice for working with those that come from different faith perspectives or secular philosophies and outlining a model for speaking up in the marketplace.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book and will probably quote it often in the future when talking to others about the Christian call to generous justice.



View all my reviews

Bookworms is a series of reflections on books that have encouraged me, challenged me, made me think differently. I love books that make me think and ones I can get lost in, ones that have captivating stories or ones of captivating importance. You can browse my bookshelf at the bottom of my blog to see my eclectic collection of recent reads. In this series, I'll share some reflections on some of the ones that have been especially meaningful to me. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate Posts and Homepage